By Laurie Denomme, BS, & Lori Sherlock, EdD
Benefits of High Intensity Interval Training
From Tabata to Timmons, everyone has their own take on how to deliver high intensity interval workouts. There is a simple explanation as to why so many programs involve HIIT…it works! On land, this type of training is reserved for advanced exercisers. However, in water, the ability to go beyond limits thought possible is realistic, attainable and repeatedly done by widespread populations.
HI-YO Aquatic Interval Training System
HI-YO is a highly adaptable, research-based aquatic exercise program that uses high intensity intervals (HI) with yoga-inspired movements (YO) to create a fun and effective workout. The paring of HI and YO allows for maximal caloric expenditure during and after the workout. In addition to the opportunity for massive caloric burn, all aspects of fitness can be improved with participation.
The primary goals of this workout is to:
- Build self-confidence
- Improve cardiovascular function
- Increase functional abilities
- Achieve weight loss goals
- Increase daily activity
How HI-YO Helps Improve Fitness
- Cardiovascular Endurance: HIIT is often not the first form of training we think of for strengthening our cardiovascular system, but maybe it should be. Research has indicated that HIIT is not only effective for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the cardiovascular system, but it actually provides more physiological benefits than continuous training. (In fact, a study by Gibala et al. showed that accumulating 2.5 hours of HIIT resulted in similar endurance gains as 10.5 hours of accumulated continuous endurance training.)
- Muscular Strength: One of the primary reasons that HIIT was invented was to help strength-focused athletes maintain and build their strength while still engaging their cardiovascular systems. Research has shown that HIIT improves force production and muscle contractility while increasing explosive power and muscle mass. The improvements in all of these variables leads to a single conclusion: HIIT improves strength-related performance.
- Muscular Endurance: In the case of muscular endurance, it is the capability of the muscle to exert repeated force against a resistance (weight, gravity or water). HI-YO uses movements that require the muscles to repeatedly engage against the water’s resistance. This overloads the musculoskeletal system requiring the body to adapt by improving muscular endurance. Since HIIT has been shown to improve muscular strength and stimulate blood vessel growth to improve oxygen flow, it therefore enhances endurance.
- Flexibility: When participating in an exercise program that requires maximal effort, adequate flexibility and mobility are essential for injury prevention and enhanced performance. HIIT requires bringing the intensity down between intervals to allow for full or partial recovery.
Look and Feel Better!
Two of the primary reasons that people exercise are to look and feel better. HIIT has the ability to assist both with its powerful capability to positively improve body composition by reducing fat mass and increasing or maintaining muscles mass. Another exciting factor is the “after-burn effect.” HIIT requires greater recovery after the workout leading to an increased metabolism for an extended period of time.
The result is increased calorie burning during and after the workout!
The benefits and possibilities of HIIT when paired with HI-YO formatting are truly endless. The diversity in how HIIT can positively alter the different components of physical fitness while improving health in a variety of populations is truly impressive. The comprehensive effects in overall wellness lead us to believe that everyone should give HIIT a try, and HI-YO is the perfect pool program. HI-YO makes HIIT realistic, achievable and appropriate for all!
WECOACH is a different kind of at-home workout program. While most exercise DVDs have you sweating on your living room floor doing push ups and crunches, our exercises help get to the source of your pain or weakness for better results. Next week learn how to build your own HI-YO workout for a healthy heart and to help lose weight.
During the month of December, you can SAVE $10 on the HI-YO DVD! Act now, and save by clicking the button below:
“This is a very effective interval workout in the water, and you can adjust the intensity for your own fitness level. We now know this is the most effective way to exercise, and this workout has clear instruction, that is safe, challenging and fun! —Anne P. Burnell, creator of Peyow Aqua Pilates
Thanks for reading,
Laurie Denomme & Lori Sherlock
Written by Laurie D & Lori Sherlock
Laurie Denomme is an international fitness educator, Fellow of Applied Functional Science™ and founder of WECOACH. She has created several best-selling education products and is the recipient of the 2013 AEA Global Aquatic Fitness Professional Award and 2014 ATRI Tsunami Spirit Award. Lori Sherlock is an award winning associate professor in the School of Medicine at West Virginia University where she coordinates and teaches the aquatic therapy curriculum. She is chair of the Aquatic Exercise Association’s Research Committee, AEA Training Specialist and highly accomplished ironman athlete.